Tuesday, May 31, 2011



This coming month, our neighbor and neighborhood historian Vincent Favorito and his lovely wife, Angela, will be leaving us and moving to the burbs and closer to their children. Although we are happy for them, and wish them the best of health and good fortune, we will miss Vincent's presence and listening to his many recounts of Carroll Gardens' history.
We wanted to take a little time and introduce some of Vincent's own history and recount some of his contributions to our neighborhood.
On April 12, 1941, Vincent J Favorito was welcomed by his parents, Joseph and Grace at Long Island College Hospital. He was taken home to 168 President Street and was baptized at Sacred Heart & St Stephen's Church.
Little Vincent attended school at Sacred Heart/St Stephen's from 1946-1958 where he met Sacred Heart/St Stephen classmate and alumna, little Angela Sgro, in the first grade. Vincent then went on to earn a B.S. in Chemistry in 1962 from St John's University Brooklyn campus, which was then located at 96 Schermerhorn Street. That same year he married his classmate and sweetheart, Angela Sgro at their lifelong parish, Sacred Heart/St Stephen's Church.
On November 4, 1963, Vincent and Angela were blessed with a son, Joseph, followed by son, Stephen on Oct 26, 1966 and then Christopher on July 16, 1974.
Angela, a 1966 grad of St John's University School of Education and Vincent resided in an apartment in her family's building at 432 Clinton Street from 1965-1972. In '65, Vincent graduated from St John's University Brooklyn School of Law.
Vincent worked for many years as a lawyer for JC Penney. For a while he and the family lived out of state and then came back to Brooklyn and lived in Marine Park. Vincent's and Angela's families were still in the neighborhood during those years so their lives were filled with frequent trips to Carroll Gardens. Eventually, Vincent and Angela moved back to 432 Clinton Street. Angela taught at PS 58 for ten years. The couple remained at the Clinton Street address until now.
Vincent was a very active participant in organizations in Carroll Gardens throughout his life--something that no doubt added to his wealth of information about neighborhood history. His many activities included:
Member of the Knights of Columbus, Loretto Council, First Place, 4th Degree from 1966 to 1985.
Member of the Brooklyn Democratic Club-Congressman Rooney Council, Clinton and Kane Streets from 1960 to 1995.
Asst. US Attorney, Eastern District NY, US Attorney' s Office, Tillary Street, Brooklyn, NY from 1968 to 1973.
Founding Member of the Court Street Merchants Association 1975 to 1980.
And of course, his tenure on the Executive Committee of the Carroll Gardens Neighborhood Association where he regaled many residents with his books filled with articles, photos and stories about our neighborhood.
We have learned that a great deal of Vincent's historical documentation has been lost in the pending move. But Vincent has assured us that at least some of the information is preserved on his computer---we look forward to his retrieving as much of this valuable history as possible and hope that he shares this with us for publication right here.
This Friday, June 3, at 7 PM, at CALPURNIA, located on the corner of Court Street and First Place, there will be an opportunity for you to come and bid farewell to Vincent Favorito. Come prepared to buy yourself a glass of wine and make a toast to a neighbor, historian and friend to Carroll Gardens!
Hope to see you there!


With the "Protect Our Homes" petition, CORD was formed in May, 2007. This petition arose as an overwhelmingly negative response to the coming of the over-sized 360 Smith Street Development at the corner of Smith Street and Second Place (Aka Oliver House; aka 131 Second Place). This petition, which had well over three thousand signatures, led to a new zoning text amendment in summer of 2008.

To: Our Elected Officials, Community Leaders, The MTA:
(MAY, 2007)

We the undersigned Carroll Gardens homeowners and residents, are appalled by the "as of right" ruling which allows owners and developers to erect buildings in our neighborhood with no regard to the impact they will present to our quality of life and the value of our homes........